Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Equator...and pictures!

One of the unique places in the entire world is right here where I'm living. I live perhaps ten minutes from the actual equatorial line, at the foot of a volcano and in the middle of a mountain range. It's definitely a very exciting place to be. I had the unique opportunity to travel to the equator almost a week ago today with some of my students. It was rewarding to share this first experience with some of them, as some of them have lived here their entire lives but have never actually visited the equator line.

I took 5 students with me to see the equator and we, of course, had to try to balance eggs on the equator line. It's rumored that this is the only place in the world where this is possible because of how gravity works with the bulge of the earth. So, the majority of this post will just be some pictures of me, some of my students, and some of the things we got to do on the equator!


That line that you see is the equator. Pretty neat, huh? :D It's the only place in the world where the equator falls on highlands! Not even the equatorial line in Quito crosses Ecuador where there are mountains. Pretty neat stuff!

Our guide at the equator told us that it was possible to balance an egg anywhere in the world, not just on the equator line. So, we had to try it for ourselves! As soon as we got back to the school, we spent maybe forty five minutes trying to balance an egg and the four of us who were sitting at the table kept trying to get it to balance. I was quick enough with a camera to capture this proud moment on film! Granted, we are only about ten minutes from the equator, so this isn't really the best scientific test in the world. Can you guys try? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment